Thursday, September 02, 2010

Earl R. Davis 1927-2010

My step-father, Earl R. Davis, recently passed away peacefully at my parents home in Lawrenceville, Georgia. I had the privilege of knowing Earl for twenty-eight years & for twenty-five of them he was a loving husband to my mother Betty Davis. I would like to share a little of what I know about Earl's life in honor of the wonderful human being he was.
Earl grew up in the Depression & joined the U.S. Navy at 17, serving at the end of WWII. He went to college on the G.I. Bill & became an engineer for a boiler-making company based in Erie, Pennsylvania, but traveled all over the world with his work. He was married for many years with his first wife & had two children, my step-brother & sister Randy & Sandra.
Earl eventually was the southeastern sales rep for his company & was based in Atlanta, Georgia. Earl & Betty first met at a famous Buckhead (Atlanta) nightclub called 'Johnny's Hideaway' & always enjoyed going back there over the years.
Betty & Earl lived together in a condo for a short time before buying an old two-story house in downtown Lawrenceville. After a few years Earl designed a much larger house which they had built & lived in for over twenty years.
Earl was a loving son to his mother Esther (whom I remember fondly as quite a spunky old woman!) & had a good relationship with his younger brother Jim, who came down from his home up north for many visits & was there for Earl's final days.
Earl had many good friends & was an excellent tennis player, regularly playing guys twenty years younger. He eventually took up golf & enjoyed going on golfing outings with his buddies. Earl & Betty loved having parties & I was lucky enough to be at quite a few, enjoying joking with his friend the Mayor & other classic L-ville friends. Earl also enjoyed having family gatherings & Thanksgiving was his favorite holiday.
Earl quit smoking 'cold turkey' many years ago but did enjoy his 'spirits' & usually had a 'nightcap' on the front porch or back patio. I cherish memories of sitting with Earl on the front porch watching the sunset or on the back patio deck, hanging out in silence listening to the crickets at night.
Earl & Betty enjoyed their retirements & every winter rented a beach house in Florida at St. George Island on the Gulf of Mexico & invited friends & family to join them. For over ten years Earl had a dog (Lab) named Jake who made the St. George trip too & Earl enjoyed his walks with Jake.
Earl was a compassionate, intelligent, & friendly man. He outlived many of his friends but is survived by other friends & many loving family members. His favorite song was a famous Frank Sinatra tune & the words speak for themselves.
"..I lived a Life that's full. I've traveled each & every highway. But more, much more than that, I did it my way!"
Rest in Peace Earl. Thank you for being a special part of our lives.
much Love, J

No comments: