Tuesday, July 15, 2008

45-Pai

The mountain valley of Pai is perhaps one of the most beautiful places I've ever spent time in. I took a comfortable mini-van 3 hour ride up the lush northern mountains with only one other tourist( a waitress from Austria) as it is 'low season' here. The cool mountain air was a relief and I got a 100bt. room at Mr. Jan's GH, complete with an herbal garden surrounding my bungalow. So nice to fall asleep to the insects chirping instead of having to wear ear plugs! Pai is considered a 'hippie town' with lots of long hair local and 'farangs'(foreigners) Lots of farang have decided to stay here too & one is the scholar mystic Garuda(whom I wrote about in my blog 2 yrs ago) I met Garuda again(playing chess outside a store with another fellow) & he invited me to his house the next day. Garuda married a local aboriginal woman named Lotus several years ago & bought a plot of land with a house & has been here ever since. He writes mystical books & also offers 'deep breathing' workshops to encourage folks to fully experience their bodies and emotions. I had a wonderful. peaceful few hours 'breathing' with Garuda and got a copy of his last book & a peek on his computer of his upcoming one.
My last full day I rented a bike and crossed the river and did a big circle loop of part of the valley. I went the way with lots of uphills so I was quite tired, but satisfied as I completed my bike ride and sat down at Kay's outdoor stand for a nice orange ice shake. Right now I'm sitting at the most comfortable, cushy chair internet cafe I think I've ever been in(if it didn't cost 30bt. an hour I'd stay here all day!) Tomorrow I travel back down the mountains to CM to await my friend. I hope to be back to Pai soon.

No comments: