Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I am a Lazy Man

I have always been lazy. There is an old picture of me as a boy in my pajama's, laying on a couch reading a'Wonder Woman' comic. I don't wear p.j's anymore but I can spend hours lazily reading a novel or magazine.
In fact, I am so lazy I have not written a blog post in months. I can't say I have been working too much since I quit my job over 6 months ago. Now don't go thinking I am a 'welfare bum' (although I have admiration for a buddy in Australia who gets by 'living off the dole') I am just living off my savings now as I worked (740-430pm M-F)in a public school for almost a year. I am hoping to last a year 'taking it easy' before going back to 'the grindstone' of a job.
They say the average North American watches 4.5 hrs a day of television. I guess if I had one perhaps I would too but I know TV is the greatest 'drug' out there. Whenever I stay in a hostel/hotel with a TV in the room it sometimes sucks me in too & after channel surfing or watching some terrible movie I've already seen before I realize hours have gone by. No, my laziness is not the 'couch potato' TV laziness. It is more a mindset.
There is an old book called 'The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment' that pretty much sums up my philosophy on life. There is a vibrant world of 'Oneness' that includes us & is all around us & we don't have to move a muscle or believe any ancient nonsense to experience it. Also, that this 'Reality' is just a different form of whatever happens next. So why work so hard or get stressed out about things?
Of course if I had kids of my own my type of laziness would be out of the question. I sleep or stay up as late as I want & pretty much do whatever I want. Do some yoga, read some, eat some food, take a walk or ride a bike, spend some time on the internet, go get a massage...Whatever floats my boat.
There is a part of me that feels I should be 'doing' something to try relieve all the suffering in the world. So occasionally I'll pick up plastic trash on the beach, or hang out with an unhappy friend, or post articles I think are important concerning politics or environmental issues on my facebook page. I know it's really not much. I try not to 'should'on myself & realize I'm just one of almost 7 billion homo sapien species on this planet. That puts things in perspective.
I realize my full-time laziness will come to an end sometime. I can't keep quiting jobs every 1 to 1.5 yrs. & then taking 6-12 months 'vacation'. Eventually I am going to find a place & a woman I can live with for a long time. She may not like me taking a 12 month vacation. Even when I go back to 'work' I plan to keep that 'lazy' mindset in my off hours. 'Sloth' gets a bad rap but I think it is essential in our fast-paced workoholic culture.
Okay, I know I should rearrange these paragraphs but I am too lazy. It's time for my nap! :o)

No comments: