Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bangkok-1

After 4 flights(Hilo-Honolulu-Japan-Taiwan-Thailand) I finally arrive in the 'Land of Smiles' at 1 am...At the airport taxi stand I connect with a fellow American named Luke and we share a taxi to the infamous 'backpacker ghetto' of Khao San Rd...upon exiting the cab a Thai woman tries to hand ME money & led me to a cheap hotel to stay at but I decline as Luke wants to check out a hotel his cousin might be staying at...we wander around, the humidity soaking us..lots of folks about as a 1am bar closing time in effect..one nice small alley has carpets and candles laid out with people lounging around...a fellow asks me to sit and play my guitar(yes I'm carrying a small backpack & small guitar)...soon though an Israeli brother comes by and tells us there are rooms at the 'Green House' where he works...he leads us to a hotel with a room with 3 beds, a window,& overhead fan for 420 Baht..(37 Baht=1$)....since it's 3 am they give us the first night free which seals the deal...I'm beat and call it a night but Luke heads out for more excitement on the streets of Bangkok...

No comments: