Thursday, October 26, 2006

2,462 Kilometers

Although I've got friends doing yoga retreats north of Delhi in Reshikesh & have met many travelers heading west to the deserts of Rajasthan I decided to head south....way south...I bought a Train ticket from New Delhi to Bangalore...a 41 hour journey of 2,462 miles for only 562 rupees(about $12)....all the train carriages were 2nd class 'sleepers' which meant either 2 or 3 layer sleeping berths at night...I had an 'upper' which is the best as it stays in place the whole time whereas the middle berth is collapsed during the day & the lower berth is used to share 2 or 3 seats....I thought I was going to be the only 'white guy' on the train(& have six seats to myself) when right before the Train left 3 older (white) women & a bearded fellow came to claim the seats....Russians who spoke little to no English...(found out later they were going to Sai Baba's ashram near Bangalore).....there was a nice Bangalore computer IT fellow who had the top bunk across from me who was the only person I really chatted with a bit....
I find Trains much more comfortable than Bus journeys..(I actually sleep well with the rolling motions)..plus you have the various vendors walking the carriages shouting "Chai", or "Coffee!" or selling food & hawking in Hindi....& of course you have the Toilets....squat & hold on to the handles & please don't poop or pee in the Stations because it goes right down the hole onto the tracks!....
I made it to Bangalore with no problems, had a great Southern Indian Thali Lunch for 30rup & then got a cheap train to Mysore a few hours away...got a room for 90rup(Green Hotel) near the Maharajah Palace which I checked out the next day with Thousands of other Indian tourists...(you are herded like cattle through the very beautiful huge palace)....caught an overnight Bus to Fort Cochin the next night...

No comments: