Thursday, October 26, 2006

Diwali

I took an overnight Bus from McLeod Ganj down the mountains to Chandigarth...besides the fact I almost 'lost my cookies' from the way too fast driving of the driver I did sing some songs & play guitar with 2 young recent college grad girls from Chand....they knew 'Cats in the Cradle' & 'Hotel California' among other western pop hits...they invited me to celebrate the Diwali Festival with them there but I decided to keep going to New Delhi(plus they both smoked 'Marlboro's' & that is way too much chemical tobacco smoke for my lungs).... After a much mellower morning ride I arrived in N.Delhi & walked to the Parhaganj section(people I have met from Delhi have told me they don't go there as it is so dirty & dusty)...There are lots of locals & tourists who do stay or shop there though...I stayed there because it is cheap(150rup) & across the street from the ND Train station...
Diwali is an annual Hindu Celebration of 'Good over Evil' among other things...a 'Festival of Lights' where people light candles in homes & such....more than anything else though it is like the US 4th of July Celebration in which almost Males light FIREWORKS....LOTS of Fireworks...LOTS of Smoke & NOISE...pop-pop-pop- BOOM!!..from dusk to late at night the city sounded like a war zone...in the morning the haze from the festivities was still lingering(although the papers said the noise & air pollution was less than previous years)...the festival was to last several days but thank Krishna it appeared most everyone had lit most all of their crackers the first night....

No comments: