Sunday, November 26, 2006

40-Hippies in Hampi

If you ever make it to India, be sure to visit Hampi, in the state of Karnataka...Hampi is a small village now but was a famous Hindu kingdom city(Vijaynagar) from 1300-1500's until it was ransacked around 1556...the ancient ruins(some dating back to 10th century) are spread over many kilometers & the hilly landscape is strewn with surreal huge boulders...
I am staying across the River(take the 10rup 'ferry' boat) with lots of Israeli & European backpackers(Hebrew is spoken as much as English)...lots of cheap GH's & restaurants(the menu's are the same but the cooks vary!)...Hampi is one of the 'Amsterdam's' of India where folks freely roll their 'spliff's' in the cafes....I'm in the Laxmi GH across from the Laughing Buddha rest. for 100rup a night...I rented a bike for 4 days & enjoyed biking around the local villages...my favorite place so far has been hiking up the Hanuman(monkey) temple on top of a huge stone mountain with an incredible 360 degree view & sublime sunsets(see pics!)....I was meditating there yesterday with my eyes closed & when I opened them a monkey was about 12 inches away sitting peacefully(he must have known my Mayan sign was a Blue Electric Monkey!)....this is a very mellow place with a special vibe & I may stay here until my flight to Thailand...

No comments: