Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Busy Backpacker!

Well after writing about being a 'lazy backpacker'(my last post) the Universe decided to yin/YANG me by sending to Pai my awesome 20something friend Kristina. I first met Kristina when she was a student activist at UH-Hilo in Hawaii and a few years later she was one of only two(out of 23 million) people I knew when I moved to Taiwan. Now, she is currently a bilingual business consultant in Taipei & came to Thailand on a short 'visa run'. Lucky me!
She made the most of her time here & inspired me to ride on an elephant among other adventures! Kristina got massages EVERY day & also daily 'shots' of wheatgrass juice at Kae's Good Life place...A fellow vegetarian, we also ate lots at Charlie & Leks restaurant with their great papaya salad & Gae's veggie stand's incredible avacado salad..
We went to both waterfalls & soaked several times at the various hot spring spa's...On her last day Kristina even got a great Tattoo from Salha, who did the Buddha on my back two years ago, and will do an amazing Tree on my calf muscle in a few days...
Our biggest adventure was a two day Whitewater Rafting trip on the Pai river. We started with two rafts with 3 guides & 10 backpackers...One raft stopped after one day but our '2 day' trip kept going as we camped overnight in remote jungle...Our raft had two Thai guides, Chi & Ran, & Bernhard (from Paris) & Timo( from Stuggart, Germany) & K & myself. Lots of fun! Our 'Captain' Chi was quite a funny guy & we all managed to get wet quite often, even floating down the river(with our life jackets) when the rapids weren't too big...The bottom of our raft tore around lunch on our second day but we still managed to float with river water several inches deep in the raft!...We ended near Mae HongSon & the 3 hour ride back to Pai over the large mountains was quite scenic...
I've only a few days left in Pai & then down to Chiang Mai to meet an old friend for a long bike trip to Cambodia!

1 comment:

LoveLiveSmile said...

Oh Free...what a wonderful trip that was even considering the whole bug-in-the-ear event! I had such a great time and we are destined for another adventure soon I hope! Take care my friend and good luck on your new adventures.