Sunday, August 03, 2008

48-The Lazy Backpacker

I'm a lazy backpacker. After working Monday-Friday for about one & a half years, with only 2 full weeks off I'm in no rush to do much of anything. While many backpackers fill their day with cooking or massage courses, hiking treks, or ride around on their polluting scooter all day I prefer to walk or somedays rent a bike to meander around.
I start my day by getting up whenever I feel like it. I then do some sitting Vipassanna meditation, followed by some Yoga postures such as the Sun Salutations...Afterwards maybe play my guitar or read a good book....If I have fruit I'll eat it or perhaps make my way to a vegetarian place for a late breakfast/early lunch...I guess I'm a 'foodie' as eating out(usually twice a day) is a big part of the day....The other day in Pai, I spent hours at 'The Good Life' cafe having a fascinating conversation with an Aussie named Ross who is convinced the huge physic particle-smasher machine in Switzerland is going to create a minature black hole that will grow & eventually swallow the Earth in a few years! The great thing about Pai is it is such a small town that you get to meet some interesting folks & I've met cool folks from the Netherlands,Germany,France,England,Israel,& all over the world.
Lately, I've been quite the internet junkie as I've got email accounts,a myspace, facebook, and other sites I check out...I feel I need to spend less time on the web and more playing my guitar!
I'm in Chiang Mai now, having just done a 'visa run' to Mai Sai on the Myanmar border(you need to leave Thailand every 30 days to renew your visa) I had a great conversation with Leaf(in Van with his wife & cute young son) about Buddhism and Christianity. Leaf & his family recently went to the World Rainbow Gathering in China(only about 30 folks) and live mostly in Varanasi,India on the Ganges River, one of the oldest known cities in the world.
Mostly I've been in Pai(where I'm going back to tomorrow) I'm staying at the 'Misty View' huts across the River from town, where I stayed 2 years ago. I'm so lazy I just step out barefoot to the back of my hut to take a wee, being careful not to step on the little frogs! Donald & I did a bike trip around part of the beautiful valley one day & 'Kona Ray', another old buddy from Hawaii, has been here 7 months and took me to a sweet waterfall where I got pounded & rejuvenated by the water! Ray invited me to open mike at the 'Bebop' where I watched him play a mean harmonica & a couple of grey hairs on guitars jammed out & sounded great. Life is good...

No comments: