Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Ayutthaya & Phitsanulok

I'm still not 100% but decide to rent a bike for 30 baht to explore the nearby temples...this city was the Siamese royal capital from 1350 to 1767 & actually had about one million people living here(small town now) I ride all over as the various temples are spread out...by one park I discover about a dozen elephants and their trainers and stop and watch for a bit..one elephant is determined to eat some grass & seems to care less his trainer sitting on his neck is bopping him with a stick...I enjoy the bike ride after so much sitting/sleeping the past few days...upon return to 'Bj1' one of the Thai men there wants to shake my hand after finding out I lived in "Hawhy"(Hawaii)....I eat dinner nearby and try to help the owner with her Engish homework but most of it(adverbs,adjectives,etc) is too difficult for me!
The train tracks are still down but I'm determined to continue north so I catch a bus about 5 hours north to Phitsanulok...most of the tourist go to the nearby ancient ruins/town of Sukhathai but I decide I'm gonna check out the 'less traveled' town...I stay at the 'London Hotel', actually a cheapie described as an 'old wooden, Thai-Chinese Hotel that is as close to an early 20-century rooming house you'll find'.....the town comes alive at night with lots of vendors set up along the river..the bridges are lit up with colored lights and I find it amusing a small park near my 'hotel' is lit up with Santa's reindeer...another thing is the KING is everywhere..not just on every denomination of bill but his picture is literally on almost every block of every city I've been at..the King smiling,scowling, playing the sax, playing the guitar..good thing he is supposably a good guy!...

No comments: